Top 10 Songs About Politicians
It’s time for another song list. In honor of this crazy American presidential campaign and the election in a few weeks that will make it mercifully end, this one is “Top 10 Songs About Politicians.” I’ll start it with my ten choices and then you add. Ready?
1. Violent Femmes, Old Mother Reagan (Ronald Reagan)
2. The Ramones, Bonzo Goes To Bitburg (Ronald Reagan)
3. Prince, Ronnie Talk To Russia (Ronald Reagan)
4. Christmas, Richard Nixon Sees You (Richard Nixon)
5. Billy Bragg, Thatcherites (Margaret Thatcher)
6. The English Beat, Stand Down, Margaret (Margaret Thatcher)
7. Richard Thompson, Mother Knows Best (Margaret Thatcher)
8. Sinead O’ Connnor, Black Boys On Mopeds (Margaret Thatcher)
9. Dick Holler, Abraham, Martin and John (Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy)
10.The B-52s, Bushfire (George Bush, Sr.)
Okay there are tons more, so start naming them. I hope I hear from some of my 1980s punk rock pals. Wasn’t every song back then political? The 1990s was filed with Brit Pop about Tony Blair and more recently, well, I can think of one gigantic hit about George W. Bush.