Which actresses can do accents (and which ones suck?)
I posted about the subject here, but I’d love to know your picks right now on this blog. To reiterate:
* New Yorker Kyra Sedgwick doing a Southern accent in The Closer
* New Yorker Rue McClanahan going Southern for The Golden Girls
* Meryl Streep doing a New Zealand/ Aussie accent (Cry In the Dark), a Pole (Sophie’s Choice) and Danish person (Out of Africa)
* Aussie Cate Blanchett doing a Russian accent in The Man Who Cried, American in Babel, mimicking Katherine Hepburn‘s crazy Connecticut clip (The Aviator) and Bob Dylan (I’m Not There)
* Brit Kate Winslet faking an American accent in anything
* Aussie Toni Collette, ditto
* Catherine Zeta-Jones, too. She’s Welsh?!
* Aussie Nicole Kidman puts on a perfect American accent all the time, a believable Southern accent (Cold Mountain), not a half bad Russian (Birthday Girl) and a passable New England accent (Margot at the Wedding)
* Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones’ Diary: not a bad British accent for a Texan
* Gwyneth Paltrow‘s British accent is decent even though I hate her
* Winona Ryder‘s bizarre British accent in Dracula
* Natalie Portman‘s totally unbelievable British accent in V For Vendetta
* Anne Hathaway‘s bad British accent in Becoming Jane
Oh, but there are so many more. We can open it up to actors, too, if you want. Let me hear your votes.