Indie break-up songs
I’ll add 21 more (and then you add some, too):
1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps
“They don’t love you like I love you.”
2. Sonic Youth, Wish Fulfillment
“It’s such a mess now anyway…”
3. The entire Foolish album by Superchunk
Mac and Laura’s intra-band break-up inspires their best album.
3. Sleater-Kinney, One More Hour
“Oh you’ve got the darkest eyes….”
4. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
The chorus kills.
5. Belle & Sebastian, I’m Waking Up to Us
Why not mix humor with your heartbreak?
6. Dinosaur Jr., Puke + Cry
“There’s things I’d like to show you, but you don’t even know you.”
7. Galaxie 500, When Will You Come Home?
Watching TV all alone is sad.
8. Husker Du, Sorry Somehow
Grant Hart wrote the band’s best break-up tunes.
9. The Who, So Sad About Us
- and the covers by The Jam and The Breeders.
10. Johnny Thunders, Hurt Me
Johnny was ballsy enough to address dysfunction in a love song.
11. Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart
A band so gloomy they wrote break-up songs ahead of time.
12. Leslie Gore, You Don’t Own me
- and the covers by Juliana Hatfield and Klaus Nomi.
13. Leonard Cohen, So Long, Marianne
Though it’s hard to pick just one song by him.
14. Liz Phair, Divorce Song
Yes, the Exile in Guyville album lives up to all the hype.
15. Sebadoh, The Freed Pig
Lou Barlow knows band break-ups are just as hard.
16. The Ain’t Love Grand album by X
The only good thing about the break-up of Exene and John.
17. Violent Femmes, Gone Daddy Gone
Who would have known you can have xylophone on a break-up song?
18. Velvet Underground, I Can’t Stand It
This guy’s life is a mess, but if Shelly would just come back….
19. Unrequited Loves, Chewing Gum
“Remember standing on my front lawn? Sudden delightfulness but not for long.”
20. The Smiths, Back to the Old House
“And you never knew how much I really liked you…”
21. Pearl Jam, Black
“I know some day you’ll have a beautiful life…”